Tired of too many spam calls? Here is how to block them all at once
Spam or marketing calls can get irritating and disturb users and often make them miss on important calls. But the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) allows users to block all spam calls and messages from all sectors. Here’s how you can activate Do Not Disturb (DND).
- TRAI started a special NCPR service to help users block unsolicited calls and messages.
- Jio, Airtel, Vi, and BSNL also allow users to activate DND service on their mobile number.
- People can block all spam calls or stop receiving unsolicited calls and messages from particular sectors.
By Divya Bhati: Tired of all the telemarketing and spam calls? Well, unsolicited calls are often irritating and trigger you the most when you are caught up in work or a meeting. Due to frequent calls, people often miss important calls too as they keep their smartphones on silent mode.
Sometimes these spam calls are also fraudulent calls, which target receivers pretending to be from a bank or related other deceptive identity. To get rid of these calls, people try to block contacts. However, blocking every single spam number is not possible. But there is a way through which you can block and report spam calls in bulk or stop receiving spam calls and messages.
Let's take a detailed look at all the various methods through which you can stop receiving these spam or telemarketing calls.
How to activate Do Not Disturb (DND) for any number
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) started the National Customer Preference Register (NCPR), formerly the National Do Not Call Registry (NDNC) initiative to help people block spam calls. People can sign-up for the service to stop all telemarketing communication or calls from select sectors.
To activate DND on your number-
- Open your SMS app and type START.
- Now send this message to 1909.
- Your service provider will send you a list of categories eg Banking, hospitality and others with their code.
- Reply with the code for the category which you want to block.
- Your telecom service provider sends you a message confirming your request. The DND service will start within 24 hours.
National Consumer Preference Register assures that the DND activation will only block unsolicited third-party commercial calls and not SMS alerts from your bank, communications from online portals and services, third-party personal calling, etc.
You can also activate DND services through your telecom service operators. To register DND on Jio, Airtel, Vodafone here is a step-by-step guide.
How to activate DND on Jio
- Go to MyJio app.
- Now open Settings -> Service settings -> Do not disturb.
- Select the categories you want to block from receiving calls and messages.
How to activate DND on Airtel
- Visit airtel official site - airtel.in/airtel-dnd.
- Enter your mobile number
- Enter the OTP received on your number to verify.
- Select the categories you wish to block.
How to activate DND on Vi
- Open discover.vodafone.in/dnd.
- Enter your mobile number, email address and name.
- Select the categories you wish to block from getting marketing calls.
How to activate DND on BSNL
- Send the message "start dnd" to 1909 from your BSNL number
- From the received option select the categories you want to block.
- You can also choose from mode including voice call, SMS or all.